Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Happy Half-Birthday, Mia!

Well, today is officially Mia's half-birthday. Five years ago, on this day, she had been in the hospital for 3 days. Testing was going as planned. I was told that Mia could NOT get sick in order for her to respond well to treatment. Her first infusion was scheduled for this day. On the night of the 6th, we decided that I needed a break from the hosital as I had not left since she was admitted. Sean was going to spend the night so I could get a good-night's sleep at the hotel.

The phone rang at 5am the morning of the 7th. Sean said that Mia had a temp of 106, get to the hospital ASAP. I had never heard of such a high temp. My father drove as my body was so numb with fear. I really thought I was going to lose her this day.

I got to the hospital. The nurse rechecked her temp, 103. Still high, but not as insane as 106. After a full workup, nothing came of it and her temp broke. Dr Kishnani came and assesed her. She said we could go foward with the infusion. She tolerated it well with no reactions. This day Mia turned 6 months old was her second chance at life making July 7th, her half-birthday, a significant day for all of us.

For those of you who may remember, five years ago today were the London bombings. There were also tornado warnings in Durham. After the fever and these 2 events, Dr Kishnani came in the room satisfied and called it an "uneventful day." I beg to differ, but was happy to see she was pleased.

BTW, Sean has NEVER spent an overnight with her in the hospital since this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment