Sunday, July 4, 2010

This day in 2005 - Off to Duke

Picking up where I left off, we had to work out the logistics of getting Mia to NC safely. The day after we made our decision, Mia was admitted to Hasbro overnight for more tests. We had to get her on a flight that had an oxygen tank (not as easy as it should be). We needed to find a place to stay, work with social workers, insurance, local doctors and the medical team at Duke, etc.

Sean and his brother drove to NC on the 3rd so we could have our car. My father, Mia, I had flights booked for the 4th. The morning of the 4th, I got a call from the airline saying they forgot the oxygen tank in Newark and we had to change our flight. In despiration and anger, I totally lost it on the man stating the urgency of the situation as we were flying to NC to admit my daughter to the hospital. After a FRANTIC morning trying to resolve this issue (I will spare you the details), we made it to Duke by the end of the day.

Saying goodbye to my family was very emotional as I was leaving behind my support and strength. Fortunately, everyone in the family took turns flying down which allowed us to have someone helping us out most of the time.

By this time, I was ready to get started, I was no longer scared.

(The attached picture was taken by my Dad at the airport)

No comments:

Post a Comment